Always do work locally, and face to face:
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
- Do not rent sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the apartment." Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face
Examples of Scams
- Distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check
- Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram
- Distant person offers to send you a cashier's check or money order and then have you wire money